Doctoral thesis: Corporate culture in Vietnam commercial banks in the process of international integration - Case study of Joint-stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam
1. Full name: Nguyen Hai Minh
2. Sex: Male
3. Date of Birth: 27 Sep 1982
4. Place of Birth: Hanoi
5. Decision for fellowship recognition: No. 1250/QD-DHKT, Dated on 19 July 2011
6. Updates during training process:
Adjust the thesis topic name, Decision No: 1928/QD-ĐHKT August 23th, 2012
- Old topic: Development the corporate culture of Vietnam enterprises in the renovation and international integration process.
- New topic: Corporate culture in Vietnam commercial banks in the process of international integration - Case study of Joint-stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam.
7. Doctoral thesis: Corporate culture in Vietnam commercial banks in the process of international integration - Case study of Joint-stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam.
8. Major: Business Administration
9. Code: 62.34.05.01.
10. Supervisors: Assoc. Prof Dr. Do Minh Cuong
11. Summary of the new findings of the dissertation
As for theoretical side:
- Firstly, the dissertation has reviewed the typical studies in the world and Vietnam about the concept of corporate culture, the role of corporate culture, corporate culture classification, factors impact on corporate culture, the corporate culture models and the measurement of corporate culture. By studying documents and qualitative research, the student has proposed a number of features in the corporate culture of the commercial banks compared to other types of businesses.
- Secondly, the dissertation has approached the study of corporate culture in a new perspective that observing and analyzing the change in the corporate culture levels, the shift of the model of corporate culture between the two different stages. There have been many projects in Vietnam research on corporate culture in general and corporate culture in commercial banks in particular but either using the 3 levels model (Schein, 1992) or the 4 types of culture OCAI model (Camaron and Quinn, 2011) or DOCs model (Denison, 2007) independently and not combined research and models to analyze an overview on many aspects of corporate culture research unit. Therefore, the new approach of the dissertation has contributed to deepen the theory about corporate culture.
- Thirdly, the dissertation was initially built scales of corporate culture levels in the condition of the State-owned commercial banks in Vietnam. This create the suggestion for the next studies on corporate culture, specifying scales of the corporate culture levels in each sector, industries and organizations.
At the practical level:
- First, the dissertation evaluated corporate culture levels and its changes in the Vietcombank and other state-owned commercial banks in Vietnam between two periods before and after Vietnam joins the WTO. The dissertation also evaluated the differences in the levels of corporate culture under the demographic factors of the bank staffs.
- Second, the dissertation determined the corporate culture models and its changes in Vietcomabnk and other state-owned commercial banks in Vietnam between two periods before and after Vietnam joined the WTO (Based on the 4 corporate culture types of Quinn and Camaron, 2011).
- Third, the dissertation was evaluated, explained the causes creating changes in the levels of corporate culture and the shift of corporate culture model of Vietcombank, from which, identified and proposed priority focal points needed to be invested in the construction of the corporate culture at Vietcombank in the future.
- Fourth, the dissertation proposed solutions for the state-owned commercial banks in Vietnam to strengthen the corporate culture levels, shaping the appropriate corporate culture model, enhance the governing quality of cultural corporate, the effectiveness in applying corporate culture, thereby increasing the competitive advantage of banks, contributing to the sustainable development of the banks.
12. Applicability in practice:
- The questionnaire for evaluating the level of corporate culture and corporate culture model used in the thesis can be further supplemented and improved to apply for different types of banks, and enterprises, from which business leaders can see the overall picture of their corporate culture.
- The solutions proposed in the thesis for the state-owned commercial banks in Vietnam can be applied in different types of banks and enterprises to consolidate corporate culture level, shape corporate culture model, thereby improving the quality of governance, effectively applying the corporate culture, then enhance the competitive advantage and contribute to the development of enterprises.
13. The next research orientation:
The author propose further studies as follows:
- Future research may add the elements of 2nd cultural level "Espoused values" and 3rd cultural level "Basic Underlying Assumptions" on research contents.
- In addition, future research should expand the scope of research, expansion of research to private banks and foreign banks operating in Vietnam.
- Apart from the banking sector, research on corporate culture can extend to other production and service areas.
14. All published works related to the dissertation:
- "Applying the model of corporate culture research on the governance of state-owned commercial banks in Vietnam", Scientific conference "Teaching and Research in Management Science: Theory and Practice ", University of Social Sciences and Humanities, VNU, January 2016.
- “Changes in Adaption to Organizational Culture Levels in Vietnamese Commercial Banks Before and After WTO Participation”, Asian Social Science, ISSN 1911-2017, Vol. 11, pp.104-111.
- "Model of corporate culture in the State-owned commercial banks before and after Vietnam joined the WTO", VNU Journal of Science - Economics and Business, ISSN 0866-8612, Volume 31, Number 3 ( 2015) p.10-20.
- "The theories and models of leadership, management by culture", Scientific conference "Leadership and management in the public and private sectors in Vietnam today: case studies", University of Economics and Business, VNU, August 2015.
- "The levels of corporate culture in the State-owned commercial banks in Vietnam before and after Vietnam joined the WTO", Journal of Commerce, ISSN 1859-3666, No. 82+ 83 (6-7 / 2015) p.108-116.
- "Political, professional knowledge and working skills for leaders and managers in the central level", Scientific conference "Leadership, management Science and the training activities for Vietnam officials and business leaders today ", University of Economics and Business, VNU, January 2015.